Wednesday, July 16, 2008

The House in North Beach


charlie treated amy and myself to dinner on sunday AND live jazz.

We all couldn't decide on where to eat. Should we eat somewhere where each of us haven't been before? or go to someone's particular favorite?

So I decided for everyone. Since we were all going to go to see 8 legged monster at Pearls, I suggested to eat out in North Beach. Ugh, North Beach.

For one, I really hate North Beach. Okay, I say that I hate it, but in actuality I like certain spots. So really, I hate the idea of North Beach. No no, rather - I hate the crowd that loves hanging out there. I hate hanging out there. and two, I hate hearing - "I like your tats" several times in passing. but then again, thats what i get for having a few visible tattoos. Anyway, I made us reservations at the tucked away and non italian eatery called - The House.

Asian fusion at its darn finest. even though i hate it when that term is used. its either crappy food with a dash of creativity or a pleasant surprise. thankfully we got the latter. Dude! I had no idea this place has been around for 15 years! Where have I been? Oh, right - I hate hanging out in North Beach. None the less, we decided to try as much as we could on the menu and share (because sharing is caring. this was told to me and charlie by our overly pleasant waiter on our weekend 4th of July getaway @ Fleming's Steakhouse in Palo Alto - yes, no pictures. i was on vacation).

Our server was great. pleasant, not intrusive, helpful with a touch of delight (sorry, it was the whole caring is sharing that made me say that).

As I've stated, if there is crab cake on the menu, you better fucking believe I'm ordering that shit. Scallops? that creature too. did you say hamachi? fuck yeah. we'll take one of that. SEABASS? hell yeah. too bad, its an endangered fish (only the Chilean kind though. alas, I did not ask where it came from). anyway, I would definitely come here again. we came early (6pm) and it was not crowded or noisy, but come dinner time time..it gets full and too college bro/marina bar hip for my tastes. again, its North Beach so what do you expect?

My favorites from what we ordered were the scallops and the rare hamachi as well as the seabass. okay okay, so i didnt think too much of the crab cakes. it looked impressive though. it was shaped like a pear. had that great crispiness onthe outside but there wasn't enough of a crab flavor. BUT, it was still good. so far the best crab cake as far as taste (something different) and texture would have to be at Le Petit Robert. Don't let the yelpers deter you.

After dinner it was off to Jazz @ Pearls, to see 8 legged Monsters - some of which are charlie's friends. they are amazing. As Amy put it, there is something sexy and alluring about jazz. So take your old lady out and visit Pearls. There are other venues all around the city for some sweet sexy stuff...you just have to know where to look, or get lost finding them..whatever you do, just go on and get out there. enjoy the nice weather we're having, thanks to global warming.

The House
12 30 Grant (@ Columbus)
San Francisco
(415) 986-8612

Menu items ordered:

Appetizer - Crab Cake, Seared Scallops, Deep Fired Salmon Roll with Chinese hot mustard
Entrées - Grilled Sea Bass with Garlic Ginger Soy, Seared Hamachi (rare) atop chinese greens with California Roll
Dessert - Coconut Creme Brulee with Passion fruit puree
Wine - half bottle of Chardonnay (or some white wine..i cant remember)

Rating: 4 salt shakers (pretty fucking tasty)

{whats the deal with the salt shakers? in case you didnt know, im kind of a salt fiend. hell i even got a prison (homemade) tattoo salt shaker. what, don't believe me? check it. yeah, we also happen to love seafood. i'll post the prime rib romp soon.}

No comments:

FoodBlogBlog